Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

steering wheel discoloration

+2
eggy_reyes
steel pulse
6 posters

Go down

steering wheel discoloration Empty steering wheel discoloration

Post  steel pulse Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:18 pm

My GL's steering wheel is part wood grain and part leather. The leather part has since deteriorated due to sweat of the driver's hand (mine, he he he). See picture. I took this up with my SA for restoration. He called up NMPI and was told na walan'g available material for restoration. So, NMPI is replacing the steering wheel, thanks to my SA.
steering wheel discoloration 11082014
steel pulse
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

steering wheel discoloration Empty Re: steering wheel discoloration

Post  eggy_reyes Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:52 pm

wow!!! they would replace it? ang mahal nyan since may airbag yung steering wheel natin. that's very good customer service sir. mukhang malakas ka talaga sa casa mo Smile

anyway madaling solution dito is.... http://www.lederinteria.com/ or kahit saang upholstery shop like seatpro and the like. mura lang yan if ever

eggy_reyes

Back to top Go down

Post  steel pulse Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:24 pm

eggy_reyes wrote:wow!!! they would replace it? ang mahal nyan since may airbag yung steering wheel natin. that's very good customer service sir. mukhang malakas ka talaga sa casa mo Smile

anyway madaling solution dito is.... http://www.lederinteria.com/ or kahit saang upholstery shop like seatpro and the like. mura lang yan if ever

@eggy_reyes:

I checked the link and it appears to be relevant. I'll contact them to see if they can sell me something to restore or preserve my steering wheel. Thanks sir.

Ganun lang talaga ang policy ng Nissan Iloilo, although it helps na I have a rather warm relationship with the personnel. It might interest you to know that Nissan Iloilo is the perennial winner of Nissan's best provincial dealer. Anyway, it was NMPI that decided to replace my steering wheel because they can't recommend a process to restore it.

Last edited by steel pulse on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
steel pulse
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

Post  chualie Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:53 pm

wow great deal! Can't believe it na papalitan nila ang steering wheel, good for you sir. Lalong magiging brand new feel c GL mo Sir.
chualie
chualie

Back to top Go down

Post  steel pulse Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:06 am

chualie wrote:wow great deal! Can't believe it na papalitan nila ang steering wheel, good for you sir. Lalong magiging brand new feel c GL mo Sir.

yes sir. parang swerte-swerte lang. but at the bottomline, it's these Nissan Iloilo guys who go out of their way to help out a customer. bless these people.
Hopefully, my new steering wheel will available next week, as promised by NMPI.
steel pulse
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:31 pm

haaayyyy, ka swerte mo naman sir!!! sana lahat ng dealer dito eh katulad dyan sa iloilo. baka naman po part owner ka na ng nissan iloilo? hehehe...
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  steel pulse Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:51 pm

aln wrote:haaayyyy, ka swerte mo naman sir!!! sana lahat ng dealer dito eh katulad dyan sa iloilo. baka naman po part owner ka na ng nissan iloilo? hehehe...

He he he. Ah, hindi. Alam mo naman kamin'g mga 'syano, we give premium to relationship. I guess that's how things are done here down south.
steel pulse
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

Post  Lydemer Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:54 am

I've seen another GL at Shaw manifesting the same issue with the steering wheel. Somehow my GL's steering wheel seems to be ok but will report it to my SA and request for a replacement( if still covered by warranty) if the problem manifests in the future. However I have informed my SA to write a technical report about it so NMPI will be informed since the paint used in the interior may not be that durable.
Lydemer
Lydemer

Back to top Go down

Post  steel pulse Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:42 am

Lydemer wrote:I've seen another GL at Shaw manifesting the same issue with the steering wheel. Somehow my GL's steering wheel seems to be ok but will report it to my SA and request for a replacement( if still covered by warranty) if the problem manifests in the future. However I have informed my SA to write a technical report about it so NMPI will be informed since the paint used in the interior may not be that durable.

@lydemer:

NMPI adviced Nissan Iloilo that so far, walang available remedy for the steering wheel discoloration at present. In the event that your SA would advice a kind of paint to arrest the discoloration, please let me know, kahit hindi masyadong durable. To me kasi availabiltiy is equally important. Malayo kasi ang banawe. He he he.
steel pulse
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

Post  yoogix Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi Guys, I like to share some thoughts, a friend of mine experience the same with his steering wheel. He used to clean it with leather conditioners and some sort of detailing/cleaning agents. His steering wheel is now is discolored and cannot be restored to its original state.

When I had my car seat cover made with synthetic leather, i had a few chat with the shop owner and learned a thing or two about leathers and synthetics. A true/genuine leather is derived from skins/rawhides of cattle or cow, then processed and preserved to become flexible and usable as with different applications (seat-covers, wallets, shoes, etc). It is not water proofed but can be made water/moisture repellent by applying leather protection agents. it absorbs moisture and is subject to discoloration if not cared for properly, that is why we need to periodically put leather conditioners containing lanolin and vitamin E to restore or retain the health. However, there is a need to avoid cleaning agents that contains abrasives or cleaners with substance dissolving chemicals that claim to remove stains. This will in turn scratch the surface on leather and synthetics as well, polishing the surface, thus, discoloration occurs.

On the other hand, synthetic leather is not a leather, its actually a plastic material that mimics only the look and beauty of the leather (minus the feel and the smell of a true leather). These plastics are made to repel water and moisture, thus there is no need to apply leather conditioners as it will only stay on top of the surface. Based on my experience from my old car with synthetic seat covers and wrappings on the steering wheel, maintained with leather conditioners, my wife once commented "parang ang lagit ng upuan....kumakapit sa balat pag nadidikit". Then at one point, i also noticed some dulling/discoloration on the seats and steering wheel. It eventually absorbed the conditioners. So it darken a bit, it took a few months before the seats dried up and went back to the original color. Lesson I learned is that on sythetics like the one on the steering wheel, I just use a micro-fiber cloth damp in warm water to clean my seats and steering wheel.

I apologize for the long post, but i hope this information may be related to this thread. Smile

yoogix

Back to top Go down

Post  steel pulse Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 pm

yoogix wrote:Hi Guys, I like to share some thoughts, a friend of mine experience the same with his steering wheel. He used to clean it with leather conditioners and some sort of detailing/cleaning agents. His steering wheel is now is discolored and cannot be restored to its original state.

When I had my car seat cover made with synthetic leather, i had a few chat with the shop owner and learned a thing or two about leathers and synthetics. A true/genuine leather is derived from skins/rawhides of cattle or cow, then processed and preserved to become flexible and usable as with different applications (seat-covers, wallets, shoes, etc). It is not water proofed but can be made water/moisture repellent by applying leather protection agents. it absorbs moisture and is subject to discoloration if not cared for properly, that is why we need to periodically put leather conditioners containing lanolin and vitamin E to restore or retain the health. However, there is a need to avoid cleaning agents that contains abrasives or cleaners with substance dissolving chemicals that claim to remove stains. This will in turn scratch the surface on leather and synthetics as well, polishing the surface, thus, discoloration occurs.

On the other hand, synthetic leather is not a leather, its actually a plastic material that mimics only the look and beauty of the leather (minus the feel and the smell of a true leather). These plastics are made to repel water and moisture, thus there is no need to apply leather conditioners as it will only stay on top of the surface. Based on my experience from my old car with synthetic seat covers and wrappings on the steering wheel, maintained with leather conditioners, my wife once commented "parang ang lagit ng upuan....kumakapit sa balat pag nadidikit". Then at one point, i also noticed some dulling/discoloration on the seats and steering wheel. It eventually absorbed the conditioners. So it darken a bit, it took a few months before the seats dried up and went back to the original color. Lesson I learned is that on sythetics like the one on the steering wheel, I just use a micro-fiber cloth damp in warm water to clean my seats and steering wheel.

I apologize for the long post, but i hope this information may be related to this thread. Smile

Sir my problem is that while the seats do not manifest any discoloration, the steering wheel does. Also, the treatments I apply to the seats are the same ones I apply to the steering wheel. So, it appears that the sweat of my hands is the culprit. In such case, wearing driving gloves (sosyal no? he he he) is, in the meantime, the only available solution when my steering wheel is replaced with a new one.
steel pulse
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

Post  yoogix Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:45 pm

@steel pulse, oh my! i need to look into that too. my wife tends to have sweaty hands when she drives. I have to watch out for that and now need to convince her to wear gloves maybe or to at least have a hanky ready every time she drives.

What do you guys think of an "all wood" steering wheel. I saw some at concorde megamall yesterday and showed it to my wife. She said it looks good, but she tends to associate an all-wooden steering wheel to owner-type jeeps. Smile

yoogix

Back to top Go down

Post  steel pulse Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:54 pm

yoogix wrote:@steel pulse, oh my! i need to look into that too. my wife tends to have sweaty hands when she drives. I have to watch out for that and now need to convince her to wear gloves maybe or to at least have a hanky ready every time she drives.

What do you guys think of an "all wood" steering wheel. I saw some at concorde megamall yesterday and showed it to my wife. She said it looks good, but she tends to associate an all-wooden steering wheel to owner-type jeeps. Smile

I used to have an all-wood steering wheel with a three point aluminum spoke in my '95 Corolla. Nakaka tulo-laway daw sabi nila sir. Unfortunately, my SA told me na hindi advisable sa GL na palitan ang steering wheel with a non-airbag one kasi magluluko daw ang computer kung walang karga na airbag ang steering wheel.
steel pulse
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum