Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercoating....

+8
dbanker
xuaeenr1
EuroFD
Lydemer
zbrando
yoogix
badtoy
aln
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Undercoating.... Empty Undercoating....

Post  aln Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:42 pm

let's discuss it here....

does our GL need this or enough na yung undercoating sa CASA?
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Undercoating.... Empty Re: Undercoating....

Post  badtoy Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:43 pm

AFAIK the casa undercoating is enough for new cars to 4-5 yrs old. Beyond that pwede na ulit patungan. Though the stock undercoating is very thin, its made that way to minimize weight.

However if the stock undercoating is topped up, you will notice a quieter interior. Road noise is virtually gone.
badtoy
badtoy

Back to top Go down

Post  yoogix Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:03 pm

I agree overpriced nga sa casa. I might consider having this done dun sa shop sa katabi lang ng bahay namin. for 4k, 3m na brand daw gamitin nya and at the same time at anytime masisilip ko paggawa nila.

yoogix

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:10 pm

@badtoy, isa sa mga reason ko kung bakit gusto ko na magpa-undercoat is to minimize road noise aside from installing sound deadeners sa pinto.

@yoogix, gusto ko din makita pag-apply ng undercoat. kakainis sa CASA laging bawal sa loob ng work bay nila
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  zbrando Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 pm

May nagsabi sakin hindi na raw nirerecommend undercoating ngayon kase lalo lang daw nakakakalawang in a long run kase nalolock ung moisture between the liquid rubber and ung steel ng car natin..

If we can clarify this to someone that has a lot of knowledge when it comes to undercoating, much better.
zbrando
zbrando

Back to top Go down

Post  yoogix Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:34 pm

@aln, oo nga sir lagi bawal. Last Monday bantayan ko sana pag lagay ng langis kay livi, sinita ako ng guard at kasi daw safety hazard yung place for me, only qualified techs are allowed. Anyway, good thing meron body shop sa tabing bahay lang namin mismo, its called PJP auto shop in Better Living paranaque. At first medyo na intimidate lang ako mag inquire dun nung bago bago kaming lipat, kasi nakikita ko mga high-end na kotse nagpapagawa sa kanya like a bmw z series, mercedez slk etc, at marami pa na vintage looking cars. pero ok naman at bigyan daw nya ko discount since kapitbahay naman. Will let you guys know how it will turn out kung maganda gumawa after ma pa undercoat ko si livi before this year end. Smile

yoogix

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:35 am

@zbrando, yun nga isang concern pero tingin ko it all boils down on how the car was prepared prior to undercoating and kung napatuyo ng husto.

@yoogix, kainis nga pag-ganyan. safety ek-ek, alam naman natin kung san tayo lulugar o pwede naman tayo pagsabihan na sa gilid lang tayo. bottomline is dapat nakikita natin yung ginagawa sa mga auto natin..
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  Lydemer Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:54 pm

aln wrote:let's discuss it here....

does our GL need this or enough na yung undercoating sa CASA?

Our GL's by default does not have undercoating. The protective coating and treatment during the assembly process is sufficient to protect the sheet metal from the elements as the underneath is very prone to debris. Undercoating is an added cost which can be shouldered by CASA (if its part of the package) or by the owner to add a protective layer underneath, especially in the wheel wells which is under constant beating from debris and also a source of noise coming from the tires. There are certain restrictions also when applying it, and is never recommended to have it sprayed on (unintentionally or not) the exhaust systems which requires cooling as it generates tremendous heat. In addition, if preparation of the panel being sprayed on is not proper, it could trap in moisture (during rainy season or after driving your GL through floods) and could start the buildup of rust. You also need to know which type of undercoat needed to be applied and some say rubberized coating is the best (and more expensive) as compared to tar. If you ever decide to have your GL undercoated, it is best to have it inspected every year and re-apply the coating if necessary. It's really a matter of choice.
Lydemer
Lydemer

Back to top Go down

Post  EuroFD Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 pm

With the harsh conditions, I think it's best to have undercoating once a year. There are a lot of options in service centers, big detailing shops, and gas stations. Undercoating at North Performance, Congressional, for example, costs P2,500 for a small / compact car. HTH
EuroFD
EuroFD

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:11 pm

^^ thanks for recommending a shop sir...
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  xuaeenr1 Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 am

Do you have any recommendable shops for undercoating? And estimates on price for something the size of our Livinas? Thanks!

xuaeenr1

Back to top Go down

Post  dbanker Wed May 18, 2011 12:04 am

count me in... sama ako...
dbanker
dbanker

Back to top Go down

Post  chualie Wed May 18, 2011 1:25 am

Dto din ako nag papaservice with our other car, c (Liv) GL dto ko din pina pa carwash paminsan minsan. For me talagang kailangan ipa undercoat, eh halos wala pa lang protection yung under chasis ng GL. I guess alam na nila kung san dapat at hindi dapat e apply pero mas magandang kung may technical know how tayo miski konti.

Calling Mr. Chairman and other technical Looper please feed us with some info.
chualie
chualie

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Wed May 18, 2011 9:04 am

^^
halos wala talaga sir, yung rear wheel well lang ata ska yung sides ng flooring ang meron. btw, yung 3,200 na price eh me kasama nang under, engine and body wash.

to those interested please post your name and preferred date. maximum is four cars and half day lang daw ang duration.

1. aln - may 21
2. dbanker

sir lydemer, ano dapat takpan sa ilalim ng GL natin?

thanks!

aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Undercoating.... Empty under coat

Post  eggy_reyes Wed May 18, 2011 10:59 am

imho it's important to have an extra layer of protection but on chosen parts/areas only.

which parts? hehehe yan ang debatable!

YES

1. wheel well
2. under-chassis or frame

NO

1. suspension parts/system
2. exhaust parts/system
3. non-steel parts (plastics/rubber)

NOT SURE

1. gas tank
2. area where are our spare tire is located

*please add or edit the list to guide us all.

last thing we want to happen is to add dead weight to areas that don't need an extra layer of protection.

eggy_reyes

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Wed May 18, 2011 11:20 am

merged topic undercoating...

lets continue here...

@eggy_reyes,
i agree, medyo me usapan pag dating dito. based sa experience saka sa mga nakita ko shops that offer under coating services tend to apply the chemical sa lahat ng parts sa pang-ilalim like yung bolts natatakpan pati exhaust at muffler meron. sabi kasi nila kinakalawang din daw yun.

so sa GL natin, ano ba dapat ang malagyan ng chemical. based sa pic below, madaming small pipes and yung brake cable na makikita. so dapat hindi na kasama ito. our GL's gas tank is made of plastic so hindi din kasama ito. ang tanong is yung heat shield ng exhaust natin eh kasama ba dapat?

Undercoating.... 9d067f79
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  chualie Wed May 18, 2011 3:40 pm

aln wrote:^^
halos wala talaga sir, yung rear wheel well lang ata ska yung sides ng flooring ang meron. btw, yung 3,200 na price eh me kasama nang under, engine and body wash.

to those interested please post your name and preferred date. maximum is four cars and half day lang daw ang duration.

1. aln - may 21
2. dbanker
3. chualie

thanks!

Mini EB na din to ng undercoating hehehhe.
chualie
chualie

Back to top Go down

Post  dbanker Thu May 19, 2011 1:03 am

naku d ako pwede this sat-May 21... Sad
dbanker
dbanker

Back to top Go down

Post  Lydemer Thu May 19, 2011 1:06 am

aln wrote:^^

1. aln - may 21
2. dbanker

thanks!

The GL's wheel wells are most likely the only candidates for undercoating. Suspension components, rubber bushings, hoses and exhaust system should not be subject to undercoating due to obvious reasons:
1. Suspension components have movable components in which the undercoat could damage seals in the suspension, causing premature failure.
2. Rubber bushings can react to undercoat since it is oil based.
3. Exhaust systems can overheat since the undercoat traps the head instead of dissipating it which could destroy the catalytic converter and cause metal fatigue that could result to cracks to other components.

The area underneath the running boards can be coated as well for as long the exhaust system protected from over sprays caused by the undercoating process.

Another thing worth mentioning is the procedure of applying the undercoat is a big factor worth considering. The mechanic should be extra careful of over sprays to the body which can be very tedious to remove afterwards. One experience that I had from my previous car was that the over sprays was removed using gas sprayed over the vehicle before undercoating was done that caused some of the rubber components of the car to shrink or warp and compromised its effectiveness to seal or hold some of the components of the car firmly. From this experience, I never did think about having my car undercoated.

As I said before, our GL's body is already protected since the vehicle itself has been dipped into a pool of zinc chromate before painting. The preparation of the the entire car body undergoes between 7-8 cleaning pools to ensure contaminants are removed before the zinc chromate is even applied to the body.

One thing is for sure, it is wise to have the under chassis cleaned once in a while to remove dirt that can trap moisture which can start rust to form and eventually build up. One rule of thumb is to never immerse your vehicle (with undercoat or not) in floods higher than your GL's running board wherein water can be trapped in areas or components which won't dry quickly.

After all that has been said, it's really a matter of choice whether to apply undercoat or not. Hope this helps.
Lydemer
Lydemer

Back to top Go down

Post  badtoy Thu May 19, 2011 11:52 am

sir lydemer you think its better if brush application na lang yun undercoat rather than spraying to prevent oversprays?
badtoy
badtoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lydemer Thu May 19, 2011 6:47 pm

badtoy wrote:sir lydemer you think its better if brush application na lang yun undercoat rather than spraying to prevent oversprays?

More costly and more time consuming but better than spraying. Get thin brushes as well para sa mga hard to reach places. If you happen to have jack stands and nothing else to do, this can be a very good DIY project and could save you some money than having it done in the shop.
Lydemer
Lydemer

Back to top Go down

Post  eggy_reyes Thu May 19, 2011 8:00 pm

i think you guys can get a discount for 'partial' under coating only. you may easily half the materials normally used for a complete undercoat. as for service... pareho lang yung effort! Petron CCC ata has a package for wheel well undercoating only Smile

eggy_reyes

Back to top Go down

Post  EuroFD Thu May 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Guys, I know the owners of North Performance. I can ask for a discount for LOOP members. We don;t need to go there by groups, I'll ask for the discount to be given individually. I'll text the owner and get a good discounted price.
EuroFD
EuroFD

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Sat May 21, 2011 9:22 am

@lydemer, thanks for the info sir. palagay pa din ako siguro for added protection. takpan na lang siguro ang dapat takpan. hehehe

hindi ako natuloy today kasi nag-uulan na. baka abutan pa ako after ng treatment, sayang naman.
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  EuroFD Sat May 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Hello, LOOPers! It's final: LOOP members get a special price of P2,200 for undercoating at North Performance Detailing, Congressional Avenue. No group deals, open to individual LOOP members. They use 3M Undercoat. They have excellent service here.

Thanks to the owner, Maurice, for making this happen.
EuroFD
EuroFD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum