Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

O/D: on or off?

3 posters

Go down

O/D: on or off? Empty O/D: on or off?

Post  blisscord Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:18 pm

sirs:

about the O/D function - i'd just like to ask whether you use it or not?

and for those who do, do you notice a change in your GL's FC?

good day to all!
blisscord
blisscord

Back to top Go down

O/D: on or off? Empty Re: O/D: on or off?

Post  Bin Diesel Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I use it lalo na kung sa cavite galing GMA to Carmona. Pababa kasi yung daan and it helps me keep the max speed to 60kph without stressing the brakes too much. ganun din pataas para di hirap transmission magpabalikbalik sa 4th and 3rd gear.
Bin Diesel
Bin Diesel

Back to top Go down

Post  blisscord Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:50 pm

thanks boss, bale O/D off yun pag uphill and downhill?

ako kasi even before with my other ride - on lang palagi,
though i tried switching on/off for a while then lost track
of fuel consumption hehe.
blisscord
blisscord

Back to top Go down

Post  Lydemer Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:20 am

blisscord wrote:thanks boss, bale O/D off yun pag uphill and downhill?

ako kasi even before with my other ride - on lang palagi,
though i tried switching on/off for a while then lost track
of fuel consumption hehe.

If O/D light is lit, this means O/D is off so the auto tranny cannot shift to a higher gear above 2nd gear which is good for uphill and downhill driving. O/D should be on always (with the light off) for highway and city driving so the tranny can shift to higher gear when needed and get better mileage.
Lydemer
Lydemer

Back to top Go down

Post  blisscord Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 am

Lydemer wrote:
If O/D light is lit, this means O/D is off so the auto tranny cannot shift to a higher gear above 2nd gear which is good for uphill and downhill driving. O/D should be on always (with the light off) for highway and city driving so the tranny can shift to higher gear when needed and get better mileage.
thanks boss!
exactly - OD on you can cycle through all the gears & off would limit the AT only to the low gears.
how about the GL's FC? ever notice any gain or loss consumption-wise when you toggle the OD function?

nice day to all loopers!
blisscord
blisscord

Back to top Go down

Post  Lydemer Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 am

blisscord wrote:
Lydemer wrote:
thanks boss!
exactly - OD on you can cycle through all the gears & off would limit the AT only to the low gears.
how about the GL's FC? ever notice any gain or loss consumption-wise when you toggle the OD function?

nice day to all loopers!

Normally if OD is off, there will be an increase in fuel consumption as I noticed during uphill driving and downhill driving. I don't advise this in city driving as the engine won't normally go beyond 3rd gear during traffic conditions and setting OD to off would be unnecessary.
Lydemer
Lydemer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bin Diesel Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 am

Actually the OD is our transmission's 4th gear, meaning if we turn this off the highest gear our car will be the 3rd gear.

Here's the sequence for our GL based on the shifter's position:
D - normal driving all gears are in use depending the speed

O/D Off - highest gear that can be used is the 3rd gear (I normally use this when going up or down hill maintaining my speed at around 60kmph)

2 - highest gear that can be used is the 2nd gear (I use this when the incline is a bit steeper, I used this a lot when I went to Isabela)

1 - gear is locked to the 1st gear use this in very extreme cases only as it will overheat the transmission faster. Also do not shift to this gear if you are moving faster than 50kmph. (I never used this)
Bin Diesel
Bin Diesel

Back to top Go down

Post  Lydemer Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Bin Diesel wrote:Actually the OD is our transmission's 4th gear, meaning if we turn this off the highest gear our car will be the 3rd gear.

Here's the sequence for our GL based on the shifter's position:
D - normal driving all gears are in use depending the speed

O/D Off - highest gear that can be used is the 3rd gear (I normally use this when going up or down hill maintaining my speed at around 60kmph)

2 - highest gear that can be used is the 2nd gear (I use this when the incline is a bit steeper, I used this a lot when I went to Isabela)

1 - gear is locked to the 1st gear use this in very extreme cases only as it will overheat the transmission faster. Also do not shift to this gear if you are moving faster
than 50kmph. (I never used this)

Yes you are correct about gear being limited to 3rd gear if overdrive is off and not 2nd gear as I mentioned. Actually you can use gear 1 on very steep hills though I never get to use it. I stick with 2 on steep gradients since the auto will automatically up-shift to 2 once the car reaches the right speed. Sticking to 1 position could burden the tranny if used for prolonged periods of time for uphill and downhill routes as well as higher fuel consumption. The tried and tested formula I use is that when going steep uphill, use the 2 position and if you are going downhill use 2 (or overdrive off) only if the descent is a very long one. Remember to use the brakes if you are going too fast. It is far dangerous to use D position on long descent as the momentum of the car can overburden your brakes or worst force you to overshoot a curve. Now if there will be twisting curves during the descent, it is wise to use the 2 position. It is a matter of making the right decision and think manual at the same time in order to dictate the maximum gear your tranny will shift to in order to adjust to road conditions.
Lydemer
Lydemer

Back to top Go down

Post  blisscord Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:42 pm

very informative discussion on A/T usage sirs - thanks!

now how about upshifting & downshifting on-the-fly, do you do it?
afaik upshifting, no prob, but downshifting D>2 is like engine braking, slush-box version,
some say it's bad but others say no prob, as long as you mind the speed, & don't rev the engine while you do it.

and what of going into N when stopped?

also my old honda before (no O/D), i remember stepping on the accel all the way to put it 1 gear down?
(overtake...oppss bitin?!? heto sa yo, um!)

sorry / censya na dami tanong... scratch

as for me, i always N when stopped for a minute or more & downshift (sometimes) to slow down.
blisscord
blisscord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum