Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metalic burs in ATF and Oil Engine..

3 posters

Go down

Metalic burs in ATF and Oil Engine.. Empty Metalic burs in ATF and Oil Engine..

Post  quiescent Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:49 pm

Dear All loopers,

is anyone ever experienced to found some metalic burs or small metalic particles sa ATF fluid and sa engine oil?.. GL is just 13,5000++ Km when i found those metalic burs.. I changed the engine oil and the ATF fuild, open up the drip oil pan for ATF and found more particles. After about two weeks,there's stillmetalic particles in the ATF.. Just want to know if this normal?..
quiescent
quiescent

Back to top Go down

Metalic burs in ATF and Oil Engine.. Empty Re: Metalic burs in ATF and Oil Engine..

Post  Bin Diesel Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:59 pm

Sir musta po GL ninyo? Napacheck po ba ninyo sa casa? Alam ko po kasi not normal ang mga metallic burrs lalo na sa AT kaya may magnet sa oil pan kasi hazard ito sa operation ng transmission natin.
Bin Diesel
Bin Diesel

Back to top Go down

Metalic burs in ATF and Oil Engine.. Empty Re: Metalic burs in ATF and Oil Engine..

Post  quiescent Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:14 am

Bin Diesel wrote:Sir musta po GL ninyo? Napacheck po ba ninyo sa casa? Alam ko po kasi not normal ang mga metallic burrs lalo na sa AT kaya may magnet sa oil pan kasi hazard ito sa operation ng transmission natin.

Actually I reported it to NMPI, they instruct me to go to casa to check my unit.. kaya napilitan ako mag change ng transmission oil at 14000 KM..pati oilpan, tinangal para fully drained yung old transmission oil..but sad to say, a week after, may nakita na nman ako metallic burs.. reported back again to NMPI..but still they insist, there's no metallic burs in the oil sample and that it is ok daw.. anyway..just remarked to them, that this case had been formally reported to them and I will just wait and see (during the 4 years warranty) if something wrong happen to the transmission, then ..i dont know.. ...anyway, one thing that i noticed prior to finding those metallic burs, there is tug sound when i shift my transmission from "P" to "N", "D"..maybe this is the problem..
quiescent
quiescent

Back to top Go down

Post  yoogix Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:04 am

Hi, I like to share my understanding on metal shavings inside new engines. As per research on the net and inquiries made on some random mechanics in our place, brand new cars and new rebuilt/built engines will exhibit this phenomenon during the break-in period. Usually, we can expect minute metal particles or shavings from the engine oil, until the third change oil. These metal shaving may or may not be visible to the naked eye.

This is the result of the engine working in its normal operation for the first few months. The Grand Livina engine (MR18DE) is said to be micro-finished and therefore have friction-reduction properties. But even though it is micro-finished, there may still be unwanted friction between the cylinder and piston, crankshaft (and other moving parts inside the engine) until they are properly seated. This will result to having metal shavings or burrs as you may call it, that should be filtered by the oil filter. Most cars would even have magnets at the bottom of the oil pan to capture these minute metal shavings.

That is why, breaking-in carefully a new car or rebuilt engine is important. These should include the timely PMS specified by the manufacturer. For my Grand Livina, I followed the first PMS at 1000 Km, the second at 5,000 km, and the every succeeding 5000 km from there.

As for the ATF, the same should be true, except I am not sure about a filter. Most mechanics would say that transmission fluids are cleaned through a magnet installed at the bottom inside the transmission to capture these metal burrs.

An important note: With the above said, you did a good job on identifying the metal burrs in your engine oil and ATF. It's better you have it checked by a mechanic other than the your CASA, just have them take a look at the metallic burrs and get their opinion but do not let them work on your new GL as it will revoke your warranty. These metal shavings should not be prominent all the time, if they are, then it is a sign of something is loose or wrong in the engine and transmission. Give it some time until your third change oil.

Another factor that can contribute to too much friction is the quality of engine oil. I switched to Fully Synthetic oil after my 10,000 pms. I would bring my own gallon of synthetic oil of my choice. But that's just me, my preference of using an approved after market engine oil.

yoogix

Back to top Go down

Post  Bin Diesel Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Does this mean we have to change the ATF too? But as I remember and based on my previous AT car changing the ATF does not happen until 20k right?
Bin Diesel
Bin Diesel

Back to top Go down

Post  yoogix Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi Bin Diesel. No sir, we don't change atf during the break-in period. Nissan did not change my ATF on my 20k km pms. 20k km is too early, unless they find something wrong with the atf. They said there is a magent at the bottom of the pan that collects metal shavings. You may want to check your service schedule booklet that came with the user manual. But I am sure its not on the 20k km pms.

If earlier than scheduled, then there may or may not be something wrong. It depends on your driving conditions. Lubricating properties of an ATF breaks down earlier than scheduled if you drive heavy. Meaning if you drive it like a race car on a race track, or if you are always driving uphills, always carrying heavy load, driving uphill while carrying a heavy load, using your car for towing trailers etc....

I read somewhere in this forum a fellow LOOP changed atf at 40k sir.

sharing some interesting reads I stumbled upon just now Smile

http://www.aa1car.com/library/atf.htm

just an OT, i found this link while browsing just now. http://www.cars4qatar.com/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=607&Itemid=47 could this be a service manual for GL?

yoogix

Back to top Go down

Post  quiescent Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks for the info mga sir..

I still observing my GL, very disappointed lang talaga ako kasi after changing the ATF fluid at 14-15k km ( supposed to be 40K as per manual, however i insist on changing it to see real condition) , me nakita pa rin ako metallic burs, actually this one is not microscopic, i take one sample and put it on the paper and covered with clear scotch tape to preserved it. ma fe feel mo sya once you slide your finger nail.. unfortunately i hand over to NMPI yung sample for their analysis..still , findings is normal...what do i have now is only the pictures.

Likewise, i asked a Nissan dealer here in KL malaysia about that case and shown him the pictures as well, the TA said the same thing as Mr Yoogix, during the break in period there might be metallic burs, however, if after changing the ATF, considering na fully drained na yung fluid kasi pati oil pan was also removed, ( normally yung drain plug lang ang tinatangal pag mag papalit ng ATF fluid, but i insist on removing the oil pan as well to be sure na walang maiwan na old ATF fluid), questionable na daw yun...but..as for NMPI, it is still normal pa rin daw.. Question
quiescent
quiescent

Back to top Go down

Post  Bin Diesel Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:12 am

sir yoogix, thanks for the info.

sir quiescent, hindi po talaga matatanggal lahat ng atf sa transmission kasi half of the fluid is in the torque converter. If you really want to remove all old atf then you should use a machine like transtech, it's like a dialysis machine that replaces all of the old atf with a new one but it definitely cost more since you'll be using more atf.
Bin Diesel
Bin Diesel

Back to top Go down

Post  quiescent Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:19 am

Bin Diesel wrote:sir yoogix, thanks for the info.

sir quiescent, hindi po talaga matatanggal lahat ng atf sa transmission kasi half of the fluid is in the torque converter. If you really want to remove all old atf then you should use a machine like transtech, it's like a dialysis machine that replaces all of the old atf with a new one but it definitely cost more since you'll be using more atf.

Sir, thanks for the info.. thats might be the reason kaya meron pa rin residue ng metallic burs even after changing the atf, so di pa rin pala totaly natangal lahat ng atf.. anyway, hope not to find any burs anymore, its almost 3 months now and will check it once am back.
quiescent
quiescent

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down