Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

List of problems encountered with my 3 yr old GL

4 posters

Go down

List of problems encountered with my 3 yr old GL Empty List of problems encountered with my 3 yr old GL

Post  dru Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and just wanted to share the problems/experiences I had with my 3 yr old GL AT. I hope this will help me validate if my unit is a lemon or not.
Here's my list:
1. After only 23k mileage, they recommended that my front brake pads be replaced. At first, I can't believe it since I did not experience this in Honda, Mitsubishi and Toyota cars. They said that this is because transmission is automatic.
2. My battery would last something like 17 months or less. It's my fourth time to change batteries. I did not do any modifications that will affect battery consumption or in short, no modifications done whatsoever.
3. Aircon is quite weak - I thought Nissan had a reputation that their aircon is really cold and strong.
4. I'm experiencing fish tail behavior at my rear wheels. Did not yet have the chance to have it checked if it's the tires or shocks.
5. Fuel efficiency is a big problem. Sales told me that mileage is 1L = 10km-12km in city driving but so far I'm only getting something like 8km - 9km per liter.

Btw, my total mileage is only 45K+.

Let me know your experiences pls.

Thanks.

DRU

dru

Back to top Go down

List of problems encountered with my 3 yr old GL Empty Re: List of problems encountered with my 3 yr old GL

Post  blooperoo Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:42 pm

@ dru, my 2 cents worth on your list.
1. i replaced my disk pads around 19k kilometers. mukhang depende to sa driving habits. medyo mabigat paa ko sa gas so mabigat din ang paa ko sa preno lalo na yung dating driver namin na babad sa preno ang paa. it might be unusual magpalit ng ganyan kaaga pero sa akin ok lang. don't think this makes the car a lemon.
2. i'm on 33K mileage but had 2 batteries also. mga 17 - 18 months nga lang talaga. would be nice kung longer ang life ng battery natin (bigla tuloy ako napaisip na malapit na siguro ako magpalit ng battery Shocked )
3. aircon-nagpalit ka na ng filter? had mine changed last 30k PMS and acu improved a lot. yung normal na settings ko dati binaba ko pa temp ngayon. dati nasa 9 o'clock ang thermostat pero ngayon nas 10 o'clock na kadalasan
4. fishtailing might be caused by old tires with hard sidewalls. nagpalit ka na ba ng gulong? kung 45K ka na so bawing bawi ka na sa gulong kung orig pa. and take note karamihan ng mga 3 year old GL ang date ng manufacture ng mga tires ay 2008 or earlier.
5. sales agents do that as part of their selling spiel. 8-9km/liter is ok for me for city driving. ang naka 10-12 siguro combined city/hiway or yung naka manual tranny.
ang frankly, i wasn't really 100% happy with our GL after we got it because of agent and casa issues. Meron times i wished we got a jazz or something else (waited for the orlando or got a carens or cruze pero definitely hindi avanza) pero after 3 years having the car, i can say that i'm 100% happy with it. natuwa ako sa kanya that i'm seriously thinking of getting her new shoes. Very Happy
hope this helps you feel better about your GL. Very Happy

blooperoo
blooperoo

Back to top Go down

List of problems encountered with my 3 yr old GL Empty Re: List of problems encountered with my 3 yr old GL

Post  Lydemer Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Dru,

I agree with Blooperoo with his opinion. Here's my answer to your questions:

1. After only 23k mileage, they recommended that my front brake pads be replaced. At first, I can't believe it since I did not experience this in Honda, Mitsubishi and Toyota cars. They said that this is because transmission is automatic.
There are a lot of factors causing premature brake fade and most of it is due to driving style. If you brake heavily or press on the brake while the auto tranny is in drive position, this can cause brakes to fade faster than what you would expect. Another cause of brake fade is jack rabbit starts and braking immediately during heavy traffic.

2. My battery would last something like 17 months or less. It's my fourth time to change batteries. I did not do any modifications that will affect battery consumption or in short, no modifications done whatsoever.

I suggest you have your charging system checked just to be sure in order to find out what's causing the batteries to prematurely fail. If it is the charging system then you can claim it through warranty which I suggest you do so.

3. Aircon is quite weak - I thought Nissan had a reputation that their aircon is really cold and strong.
The blower settings is there for a reason. If you are experiencing insufficient cooling then put the blower setting to the highest and then go down to the setting which is comfortable with you. If there is still insufficient cooling, then have your AC filter and system checked and evaluated.

4. I'm experiencing fish tail behavior at my rear wheels. Did not yet have the chance to have it checked if it's the tires or shocks.

Could be worn tires or shock failure. Have these checked and replaced as soon as possible. For the meantime please drive carefully as we are still in the rainy season.

5. Fuel efficiency is a big problem. Sales told me that mileage is 1L = 10km-12km in city driving but so far I'm only getting something like 8km - 9km per liter.

If depends on driving conditions. Too much traffic, driving style, low quality of fuel and low tire pressure can adversely affect fuel mileage. Your mileage is not far from mine but I am able to get 10-11 once in a while which is dependent on the factors provided above. I would also suggest you use fuel with 95 and above octane rating as this can provide you better mileage. Check tire pressure once a week and I am sure this habit can do a lot of wonders for you.

I am sure with these suggestions, your concerns will be eventually be fixed. Happy driving.

Lydemer
Lydemer

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:00 pm

@dru.. hi and welcome to our forum

our GL just turned 3 last september and here's the list of parts that has been replaced during its warranty period.

1. steering column - common problem to GL, knocking sound when turning
2. headlights - common problem to GL, sort of a bubble on the chrome area
3. fuel floater - common problem to GL, the fuel gauge is not displaying correctly
4. rear shock absorbers - fish tailing with leak
5. compressor - there is a humming sound coming from the unit and alternator so they replaced both
6. alternator - replaced with the compressor
7. front wheel hub - humming sound on the front wheels pero hindi pa napalitan kasi wala pang parts
8. battery - once lang in 3 years pero we payed for it

i also feel na bakit ganun, brand new nga kinuha namin na auto pero bat andami nang napalitan. nagtataka din wife ko, sabi niya buti na lang under warranty pa kasi kung hindi patay na. sana naman wala nang lumabas na problema kungdi maintenance parts na lang.

just to add, my FC depends on the type of fuel used. we are getting nice FC using blaze
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  dru Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Sirs (aln, blooperoo, lydemer),

Thank you very much for sharing your inputs, thoughts and experiences. I was really enlightened and suddenly felt lucky after seeing aln's list but sad as well that he went through such replacements. Buti na lang talaga under warranty period pa. My GL also just turned 3 yrs last Sept so warranty period is over. I think the ac filter was replaced during the 20K PM, perhaps it's time to replace it again.

Overall, I'm happy with our GL. It's a 7 seater MVP but with car ride handling, safety and comfort. Hindi nahirapan wife ko as she's the one using it. Smile

I'm so happy that I found and joined this forum. Will surely learn from your inputs and will try them as well.

Thanks again and more power to you guys and LOOP.

Cheers

DRU

dru

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Haha, parang ung GL ko ata ang lemon. Nakaka frustrate din at times, iniisip ko na lang na sige lumabas na lahat habang warranty pa. i love our GL for being a multi-purpose vehicle kahit na ganun ang pinagdaanan namin.
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down