Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

front brakes re-facing

+3
real_renz
aln
steel pulse
7 posters

Go down

front brakes re-facing Empty front brakes re-facing

Post  steel pulse Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:07 am

heads up guys:

at 60k mileage my GL started manifesting some discernible "shaking" everytime brake is applied at high speed (80kph and up). it turned out na medyo worn out na ang front disk brakes. a pair of brand new replacement disks would set me back around P18k according to my SA. the alternative was to dismantle the disks and bring it to a machine shop for re-facing.
now, okay na. the shaking is gone.

total cost: P5,531.00
total duration of repair: one day and a half including test drive and other minor jobs (re-tightening of underchassis nuts and bolts, steering coupling, shock absorbers, etc.)
steel pulse
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

front brakes re-facing Empty Re: front brakes re-facing

Post  aln Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:46 am

hmmm, hindi ba parang maaga masyado mag-worn out yung discs? sa old car namin lagpas 100k na nung nagpa re-facing..
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  real_renz Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:04 am

oo nga pero sa tingin ko dahil sa madalas gamitin nya si GL na palaging out of town at hataw kung magpatakbo malamang na magkakanon na ung disk ng GL nya.
real_renz
real_renz

Back to top Go down

Post  steel pulse Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:31 am

mga sirs:

actually, pwede pa naman daw gamitin without re-facing kasi hindi naman safety issue ang involved. comfort lang. but I think preventive maintenance is better kesa plain repair after the fact.
so I think the 60k mileage should be on the watchlist of A/T variants as regards front disk brakes.
steel pulse
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:35 pm

me connection ba ang pagiging A/T ng isang sasakyan dito? naisip ko lang kasi since sa A/T naka-engage lagi ang gear mas me stress ang preno. pwede ba ito?
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  eggy_reyes Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:29 pm

aln wrote:me connection ba ang pagiging A/T ng isang sasakyan dito? naisip ko lang kasi since sa A/T naka-engage lagi ang gear mas me stress ang preno. pwede ba ito?

definitely!! masmalakas magconsume ng preno ang A/T compared to M/T vehicles. kaya mas maaga ang schedule ng change of brake pads ng A/T vehicles for all brands (nissan, toyota, honda, etc.). not sure though kung kelan dapat ang normal na palit or service ng discs. imho discs should be covered by the vehicle warranty if within 3 years. some manufacturers 5 years pa nga ang warranty. yung pads hindi talaga covered kasi considered as a consumable sya.

eggy_reyes

Back to top Go down

Post  aln Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 pm

^^

i see, so sir steelpulse's issue should have been covered by the warranty assuming his GL is still under warranty?
aln
aln

Back to top Go down

Post  eggy_reyes Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:06 am

aln wrote:^^

i see, so sir steelpulse's issue should have been covered by the warranty assuming his GL is still under warranty?

i believe so sir. pero 3yrs or 50K kms (whichever comes first) lang ata ang warranty ng grand livina natin.

eggy_reyes

Back to top Go down

Post  EuroFD Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:26 pm

There are many causes of rotor warping. There's extreme heat, sudden braking, rapid temperature changes., or a combination of reasons that will make the rotor surface uneven. This is common wear amd tear. Just have it refaced and it should be back to smooth braking.
EuroFD
EuroFD

Back to top Go down

Post  steel pulse Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:28 am

sirs:

palagay ko hindi covered ng warranty kasi normal wear and tear. had it been shown to be defective, it would be covered because that is specifically the purpose of warranty: to protect the buyer from hidden defects. anyway, I was told that the rotor is good for another refacing before its should be replaced. meaning, I would have to buy a new pair at 180k mileage. good enough for me. Very Happy
steel pulse
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

Post  dbanker Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:38 am

Atty, good for us also,,, kaya ako dehins na masyado nagbe-break! Laughing
dbanker
dbanker

Back to top Go down

Post  Lydemer Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:08 pm

It's also good practice to have the brakes checked and cleaned to prevent foreign materials such as bits and pieces of dirt which can scratch the surface of the disk. In addition the brake pads is semi metallic. If the brake does fade, for sure you will have the metal pads contact the disk surface, creating the concentric circle scratches. It is best to really take it easy on the brakes, avoid sudden braking and inspect the condition of the brake pads and rotors once a month.
Lydemer
Lydemer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down